A barbecue party is a universal thing. Most people from every corner of the world have done that at least once in their lifetime. The reason is simple – barbecue parties are not just about the food. It is one way to bring people together, friends and family, to celebrate or simply spend time together with good food. Traditionally, people use firewood, charcoal, or gas grills during these gatherings, but things got a lot easier these days as many are now switching from traditional grills to electric grills. If using an electric grill is foreign to you, then we are here to help. We will show you how to light an electric grill and other essential things you need to know about electric grills.
What Is an Electric Grill?
An electric grill is a popular, efficient, and safe alternative to charcoal and gas grills. This equipment uses electrical heating elements to produce heat, so users don’t need fuel, gas, or charcoal. This means it can provide easy and quick options to grill food and meat minus the mess.
Most electric grills have a grate located above the heating elements and a drip pan underneath the heating elements. The drip pan collects any juices that come out from the food items while grilling. Some types have grates that are constructed with deep grooves and are positioned at a slight angle. The juices then run into a channel down to its drip pan. In most cases, drip pans are detachable, so users can use the drippings to make gravies and sauces and to make it easier to clean them up.
You can purchase an indoor electric grill or an outdoor electric grill. Most indoor electric grills are smaller and can be placed on a stovetop, kitchen counter, or table. This type of electric grill is ideal for those who have limited space and no access to a backyard. On the other hand, outdoor electric grills come in various sizes. If you love preparing foods for friends and family and have enough space, then you can choose an electric grill that can prepare meat and vegetables for a dozen people or more at one time. If there are only a few members in the family and have a little space in the patio or deck, then you can have an outdoor stand-alone electric grill that can grill for around four people at a time. If you are not too familiar with electrical grills, but you want to have one, read this guide and be informed how to light an electric grill and more!
How to Light An Electric Grill?
For some people, when they want to eat grilled food, like steak, they usually go to their favorite restaurants like the SW Steakhouse in Las Vegas or The Capital Grille in New York City. But for others, they enjoy prepping their own food in the comfort of their homes. And this is when they need to learn to use their grills, including learning how to light a grill.
If you have used gas ovens before, you may have already learned how to turn on a grill oven or how to light a portable propane grill. But since a lot of people have switched from the usual type of grills to electric grills, many are asking questions about it and among them is how to light an electric grill. Electric grills rely entirely on electricity. To start using it, you need to plug it into a power outlet. From there, flip the switch on, and it will automatically heat up. Some electric grills have an additional button on the grill itself, allowing users to switch on or off the machine. Unlike gas grills, you do not need to light an electric grill to make it work. Depending on the brand and style, some grills enable users to control the heat temperature using a dial. One advantage of using an electric grill is that, in most cases, electric grills have a safety feature that switches off the grill when it becomes extremely hot to avoid any accidents.
What Are the Advantages of Electric Grills?
If you are having doubts and are skeptical about using an electric grill, then here are some of the reasons that could change your mind:
- Electric grills are safe to use – one advantage of using electric grills is that it does not emit large amounts of carbon monoxide and many other harmful fumes. So, it is safe to use them indoors and is even good for our planet as well.
- Electric grills are cost-effective – you can find electric grills that cost less than 50 dollars. You can also cut down propane costs when you choose to use electric grills.
- Electric grills are easy to clean – we can all agree that cooking our own food is great but cleaning kitchen equipment after cooking is one thing many people despise. However, with an electric grill, you can wipe it down with a sponge, and you’re done. Some electric grills have detachable griddles and are dishwasher-friendly, so you don’t have to do all the hard work.
- An electric grill is convenient to use – this kitchen equipment is easy to use as you only need a power outlet to start cooking. This is great to use, especially during the winter season, as you do not need to disconnect the fuel source and make sure it’s properly sealed like gas grills. They are also relatively light, so carrying and storing them is much easier. Many electric grill models have self-cleaning features, which is common on kitchen ovens. This makes cleaning your grill easier and faster for you.
Things to Look For When Purchasing An Electric Grill
Now that you know how to light an electric grill and the advantages of using it, we will now show you another important factor – what to look for when you buy your own electric grill.
- Temperature Control – this feature is not something present on all-electric grills. The temperature control feature allows users to cook various foods, even those requiring low heat settings. Electric grills that have this feature are usually more expensive, but they sure are worth it.
- Timer – if you do not have a kitchen timer, then it may be necessary to purchase an electric grill with a timer. This can be of great help as there will always be times when you forget about the food you’re cooking when you are busy doing something else.
- Non-stick/Ridged Surface – non-stick cooking surface helps you to cook with ease. Depending on the brand, some electric grills have a non-stick griddle surface while others have a smooth side and are ridged on the other side. Some grills have detachable griddles, so you can take them out and place them into a dishwasher, making it easier for you to clean them.
- Size – this is perhaps what an electric grill is most famous for, aside from its convenience. Electric grills can fit on countertops and tiny porches, making them ideal for people living in small apartments or condo units. Look for an electric grill that has a minimum size of 12 inches diagonally. With this size, you can cook different foods, like a couple of steaks or burgers, together simultaneously.
Knowing how to light an electric grill is a basic question since most people were used to using the traditional equipment of grilling. Traditional grilling is good, but using an electric grill will make your work easier and more convenient. With an electric grill, you do not have to worry about lighting it. All you need to have is a power outlet. Plug it in, then off you go. Happy grilling!