Do you like frittatas? They’re the easiest and tastiest egg dish you can make! This creamy, healthy dish that is full of veggies is easily baked in the oven. They are good to prepare for breakfast, lunch, dinner and perfect for picnics. It makes a great sandwich filling, too. Let me guide you on how to cook a frittata in the oven, so you can master the art of making a frittata.
How to Cook a Frittata
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- Sliced potatoes
- Spinach and cloves
- Minced garlic
- Thyme leaves
- Cheese (shredded)
- First, you need to pre-heated the oven to 400°F.
- Beat the eggs and in a small bowl, mix it with the heavy cream and salt.
- Cook the sliced bacon in a frying pan for about 8 minutes until it becomes a bit crispy, and set it aside.
- Deep-fry the potatoes in bacon fat and sprinkle with black pepper and salt. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes to make it a bit brown.
- It’s time to wilt the garlic, thyme, and spinach into the pan and cook for one minute.
- Next, add the cooked bacon and stir to distribute them evenly.
- When the layer gets even, put in the vegetables and flatten using a spatula.
- Add the cheese by sprinkling it on top; wait until it starts to melt.
- Pour the egg mixed with cream and salt; make sure the mixture settles evenly and cook for a maximum of two minutes.
- It’s time to bake the frittata — set a 10-minute baking time.
- Let the baking pan cool for five minutes; slice the frittata and serve.
Tips to Make the Best Frittata
- Beat the eggs just right. Make sure not to overbeat the eggs to make sure that the frittata will be soft and puffy. This is a very important consideration in learning how to cook a frittata in the oven.
- Vegetables must be pre-cooked well and tender so they won’t end up raw and release much water. Raw vegetables are crisp, which does not make a good-tasting frittata. Pre-cook the veggies by roasting, steaming, or frying.
- Bake the frittata just enough, and don’t overcook it. Keep an eye on it when baking. Take note that the frittata continues to be cooked with the remaining heat after taking it out of the oven. Overcooked frittata is dry and doesn’t smell good.
- When you plan to cook a frittata for breakfast, make it ahead so you will have enough time for cooking. It will not taste good if you cook it quickly.
- You can store frittata leftovers in the fridge; they will taste fresh when reheated in the microwave.
- When using dairy, use a full-fat one to produce a heavy cream. It will make the frittata creamier and taste less eggy.
- Use cheese to add flavor and make the frittata more creamy. The best choices are cheddar, parmesan, or goat cheese.
Serving Suggestions for Frittata
Frittata is best for breakfast and can be part of lunch or dinner, too. It goes well with a cocktail drink and toasted bread. Basically, a vegetable or fruit salad and bread make the perfect pairs. You can also pair it with pancakes, banana cake, and muffins. Some serve it with fruit salad or baked oatmeal. It also goes well with side dishes like broccoli, roasted potato, or Korean radish.
As part of experimenting with enhancing the frittata taste, you can also top the individual slices with fresh herbs or sliced fruits like avocado. Try to add as well a scoop of pesto or tomatillo salsa as you master how to cook a frittata in the oven.
What Makes a Good Frittata
When it’s your first time cooking a frittata, you may not perfect the appearance and the taste, and that is perfectly fine. It sure looks easy when the experts do it, but it takes technique and many attempts to make a perfect version of this dish. But you must take note that frittatas that are made simple are the best. It is less complicated to cook when you start with the basics. Once you’ve already learned how to cook a frittata in the oven, it will not take long for you to explore flavor enhancement. Work with the method that works for you, and you will be surprised to see it as one of your regular meals. As you go along, you can make tweaks and other upgrades in the looks and taste of your dish.
Making a frittata is a flavorful way to start your day. This nutritious dish makes a good part of your day’s meal. What’s amazing is that it has common ingredients found in your kitchen, and it is easy to prepare and cook. Many side dishes that it goes with make your breakfast or lunch more exciting than a simple scrambled egg. It also makes a good dinner meal when on weekends and something you can pack during picnics. The best thing is that it is ready to be eaten in minutes. When you know how to cook a frittata in the oven, it’ll save you on hungry weeknights as long as you have those staple ingredients in your kitchen. Learn more about cooking frittatas here!