Chicken tikka masala consists of marinated boneless chicken with subtle spiced tomato cream sauce traditionally cooked in a tandoor. A tandoor is a clay type of oven used in cooking and baking that is originated in Northern India and Pakistan. This dish is popular and had taken a large cultural significance in Britain. It is also widely considered as the country’s national dish and a symbol of modern multicultural Britain. So, if you have been wondering what goes in chicken tikka masala, you are in the right place. This article will show you what ingredients are in chicken tikka masala, how to cook, and what tips you should lookout.
Chicken Tikka Masala Main Ingredients
This chicken recipe is very convenient to cook. You can easily find the ingredients for the chicken tikka masala recipe in your kitchen area or groceries. So, what goes in chicken tikka masala? An authentic chicken tikka masala is usually made with chicken marinated in yogurt and various type of spices. To understand more about this recipe, here are the main ingredients that you need to have.
Chicken Thigh or Breast
Chicken is one of the main ingredients in this dish. Obviously, it’s made from chicken, but aside from that, you might still be wondering what goes in chicken tikka masala. Either chicken thigh or breast part will be coated and marinated with aromatic spiced tikka yogurt. The use of chicken thighs instead of the breast will result in a juicy and delicious taste. It will also lessen the marinating time as it will soak all the flavors in a minimum of 10 minutes.
If you prefer the breast part instead of the thighs, marinate the chicken overnight for best results when cooking over a high heat pressure. The overnight marination will give the chicken time to soak all the yogurt and spices used.
It is best to use a well-seasoned cast-iron frypan or a regular non-stick pan when cooking the chicken. Sizzling your chicken in two to three sets will avoid over-crowding of the ingredient and help simmer in juices that will result in the golden-brown color of the chicken.
If you are currently thinking about what goes in chicken tikka masala, here is the list of ingredients for marinating the chicken:
- Boneless chicken thighs or breast
- Plain yogurt
- Minced garlic
- Garam Masala
- Turmeric powder
- Ground cumin
- Kashmiri chili
Choice of Spices
Listed below are the combination of spices used in chicken tikka masala’s creamy tomato sauce that make serves various health benefits.
The body uses salt to maintain the acid balance of the blood and for normal cell function. The salt also helps to control blood pressure and is essential for the nerve and muscle.
The turmeric power’s most active compound, curcumin, has many scientifically proven health benefits. It has potential nutrients that help prevent heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. It has a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that helps calm the symptoms of depression and arthritis.
The garam masala is rich in antioxidants that help in preventing skin problems and fight inflammation. This pepper is also good for giving a boost to your body’s metabolism.
The coriander powder as a spice ingredient helps improve your blood sugar levels, heart health, promote digestion and boost immunity.
Using cumin powder as a spice ingredient increases your antioxidant intake that promotes digestion, improves blood sugar level control, provides iron, as well as reduces food-borne illnesses.
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
Kashmiri red chili powder is rich in Vitamin C that helps in building up your immunity, useful for the skin and health of blood vessels. It is also a good source of antioxidants.
Cardamom powder as a spice contains a chemical that treats intestinal spasms, reduces swelling, kills bacteria, and helps build up the immune system.
Tikka Masala Sauce
Tikka masala is a tomato and cream-based sauce that is either form of heavy cream, cashews, or yogurt with a lot of traditional Indian spices. It is made up of easy-to-find ingredients that you can find in the local wet market or supermarket. Here is the list of what you need in making a tikka masala sauce only:
- Regular unsalted butter.
- Onion, ginger, and garlic are the ingredients that will provide a flavorful aroma.
- Diced tomato.
- Raw cashews can create a leafy and creamy-based texture for the sauce.
- Water for the base of the sauce.
- Spices include salt, garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and cardamom powder.
- Kashmiri red chili powder to add some spicy flavor.
- Dried Fenugreek or Kasoori Methi are dried leaves used for curry blends.
- Butter for a special finishing touch.
- Honey or sugar, for a touch of sweetness.
Chicken Tikka Masala Cooking Procedure
To finally enjoy this delightful dish, you can simply follow the cooking procedures below:
- In a clean bowl, marinate your chicken together with all the ingredients listed above. Let it absorb all the spices for about 10 minutes to an hour for thigh parts and an overnight procedure for breast parts.
- Start heating the oil in a large frypan or pot in a medium-high heat pressure. When sizzling the chicken part, allow it to have some safe and avoid overcrowding. Fry the chicken until you see golden browned for each side. Set the chicken aside as you will finish cooking it with the tikka masala sauce.
- Put and melt the butter in the frypan. Sauté the onion for about 3 minutes until you see it soft. Then add some garlic and ginger.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder. Fry all the ingredients for about 20 minutes while mixing it occasionally.
- Pour in gradually the tomato sauce, chili powder together with the salt. Let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, mixing all the ingredients with the sauce until it becomes deep reddish-brown color.
- Mix the cream and sugar into the sauce. Add the chicken and let it stir to become juicy in 8 to 10 minutes. Pour some water to thin out the sauce.
- Glaze with coriander powder. Serve it with your preferred type of rice, and you are done.
Now that we have answered what goes in chicken tikka masala, you know why this dish is so tasty. It is served with incredible aromas and is also covered with spices that have a lot of health benefits to offer. It is most popular in Britain as it serves as the country’s national dish, yet this title is not only the reason why everyone is curious about this dish. So, if you are a food addict and craving something delightful and healthy, try having or even cooking your own chicken tikka masala recipe! Discover more Mediterranean recipes here!