If you love cooking and preparing food for your family and friends, you know that cooking ranges are one of the kitchen’s most common and essential tools. A cooking range is a large, portable, or stationary kitchen stove with burners on the top of the surface and one or more ovens. For decades, a gas range was a common sight in many kitchens, but electric ranges are also becoming popular for some years now. If you are curious about “gas or electric ranges which is better?” keep reading to learn more below.
Gas Range vs. Electric Range
The question about “gas or electric ranges which is better?” is a common question as many people wonder which between the two is more efficient and better to use. To finally answer your question, here are the things that you need to know about gas and electric ranges.
- Gas Ranges – Standard models of gas ranges have porcelain-enamel cooktops and burners with an average of 9,500 Btu (British thermal units. They also have storage drawers, cast-iron gates, burner controls that use dials and knobs, and oven windows that are usually smaller than expensive models. Mid-range models have high-performance burners that reach more than 12,000 Btu, digital settings for temperature and time, storages drawers, a self-cleaning oven, and easy-to-clean steel grates over the burners. On the other hand, premium models of gas ranges have high-performance burners that reach up to 17,000 Btu. Also, these models have an additional fifth burner, removable stovetop griddle, electronic control panels for programmed cooking, convection ovens, and hidden baking elements for easy cleaning.
- Electric Ranges – there are three models for electric ranges. The most common is the coil-top model in which the heating element is exposed. This type commonly has a porcelain-enamel cooktop finish, indicator lights that turn on when the heating element is on, and burner controls using dials and knobs. Some coil-type electric ranges that are more expensive have digital displays for heating and cooking times, a storage drawer for pots and pans, and larger oven windows. The second type is the smooth top model, which commonly has a solid disk or radiant heating elements under a ceramic glass cooktop. It also has standard electric ovens, electronic oven controls with digital displays and press cooking options, and self-cleaning features. The more expensive smooth-top models have warming centers and a fifth stovetop. This model is the bestselling among the types of electric ranges because of its performance and good looks. The third one, the induction-top model, is famous for its fast stovetop cooking. Instead of generating heat like standard stovetops, induction-top models use magnetic technology to turn compatible cookware into a heat source. This is why the ceramic surface of an induction-top electric stove remains cool to the touch. This model typically has convection ovens, control lockouts, a touch-screen control panel, warming drawers, and hidden baking elements for easy cleaning.
Gas vs. Electric Stove: Pros and Cons
When talking about gas or electric ranges: which is better, it is difficult to say that this one is better than the other one. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. In this part of the article, we will discuss its pros and cons.
One of the advantages of a gas stove is that it can help you save up to 30% on energy costs since electricity is more expensive than gas in most states and cities in the US. Other advantages of using a gas stove are the following:
- Using a gas stove allows users to have better control of heat and flame. They can easily change the heat settings from high to low.
- The stove and oven of a gas range heat faster.
- Gas stoves/ranges are more versatile. You can use them for many purposes, such as grilling, searing, and simmering.
- It is also easy to control the temperature with a gas stove or gas range.
- They are easier to clean.
- You can use many different types of pots and pans with a gas stove.
There are disadvantages in using a gas stove, like:
- Turning it off is not as secured and foolproof as an electric stove, so there are risks like gas leaks.
- There are times when the burners won’t light, and the burner flame is weak.
- Ventilation can be a problem.
- Surfaces will be greasy, making them difficult to clean.
This option has increasingly become popular in many households. They are safe and easy to use. Here are its advantages and disadvantages:
- You don’t have to worry about your kitchen being too “warm.” Using an electric stove keeps your kitchen stay cooler.
- The flat surface of electric stoves is easier to clean and is more stable for pots and pans.
- Electric stoves are easier to turn on and off.
- They are usually easier to install and also less expensive.
- You can easily get burns since it is difficult to tell if it’s on.
- New electric stove/range models with advanced features are more expensive and can cost more than their gas counterparts.
- Electric stoves use as much as three times more energy compared to gas stoves.
- Cooktops can easily get damaged if something is accidentally dropped on them.
- The cooking process is slower than cooking on a gas stove.
Gas or Electric Oven: Which Is More Energy Efficient?
The gas oven has the upper hand in the debate about which is more energy-efficient between a gas or an electric oven. This is because when you turn on a gas oven, it starts heating as soon as you turn it on. On the other hand, electric ranges/ovens use three times more energy than a gas range. Gas ranges are usually more expensive to purchase, but many said they save a lot of money in the long run as electricity is costly in many cities. However, if you are thinking about which between the two you will buy, it will boil down to your comfort level, the current hookups in your kitchen, and the kinds of food you cook.
Whether using a gas range or an electric range, there are several ways to save energy. For example, cook multiple dishes at the same time. Doing so will not only help you save energy, but you can also save your precious time. You can also use ceramic or glass pans as they hold heat better than those made of metal. Lastly, avoid peeking or opening the oven window often, as it will make your oven work harder. Prevent heat from escaping by keeping the oven door closed until your food is done. So, gas or electric ranges which is better?
The discussion about “gas or electric ranges which is better?” has been a common topic among chefs and food experts. Both of them have pros and cons. When choosing which one is the best for you, it will always be about your preference. We hope that this article helped you in deciding which one to choose. Learn more about cooking ranges here!